Thursday 27 November 2008

We need to talk about Kevin

There's this homeless guy called Kevin who I sometimes see sleeping rough on Holloway road. The other day he was asking passers by for a can of pop. After speaking to him to find out what he wanted, I established what he really wanted was food, so we went to get some chips. On the way, I asked how he was and this is the conversation that followed:

I'm really down. In fact, more down than I have been in years. I had a cry last night. Haven't done that for a long time. Quite embarrassing really.

What were you crying about? I asked.

Well, I met up with a friend last night. It's so shit. She's got back with this bloke she should never have taken back. He's a real bastard - in and out of prison. And he beats her. Properly beats her. I really believed that the last time she left him, it would finally be the last time she'd go back to him.

I just don't know if I can cope with picking up the pieces again. Cos I know that I'm gonna have to, it's just a question of how long it's gonna be this time round.


After commenting on this, I then said: But, what about YOU? Why are YOU where YOU are?

Pretty memorable. Here's a guy who has nothing, lives on the streets, is in a terrible situation, and he's busy worrying about someone else. Crazy.

No comments: